Millions of individuals worldwide suffer from chronic headache symptoms each year, according to the World Health Organization. Most have symptoms severe enough to affect their work and daily lives.
If you suffer from headache pain on a regular basis, skilled physical therapy care may be just what you need.
What Types of Headache do We Treat?
The most effective treatment for someone suffering from chronic headaches is to find the underlying cause to the illness and focus treatment on this area. Our Physical Therapists will perform a thorough evaluation to identify if your illness is caused by neck joint dysfunction, muscle tension/spasm, trigger points, postural deficits, or other.
There are 14 medical diagnoses for headaches, but the three most common types treated in physical therapy clinics are: Tension-Type Headaches, Cervicogenic Headaches, and Migraine Headaches.
- Pain and tenderness radiates in band-like pattern
- Muscle spasm/increased muscle tension
- Trigger points – tender spot when pressed refers to other areas of the body
- Vasoconstriction of scalp arteries
- Can last 30 minutes to 7 days
- No nausea
- Not aggravated by physical activity
- Referred from source in neck into head and face
- Tenderness, similar to tension headaches
- Neck, shoulder, arm pain
- Posture issues
- Joint dysfunction in cervical spine
- Restricted neck motion key for diagnosis
- Category includes common migraine, classic migraine, and cluster headaches
- Can last 4 – 72 hours
- With or without aura (temporary visual disturbance)
- Usually predominant on one side of the scalp or face
- Moderate to severe intensity
- Light sensitivity
- May involve vascular issues
Depending on the patient’s type of headache pattern, our Physical Therapists design a program of treatment that can include:
- Soft tissue mobilization and manipulation
- Joint mobilization and manipulation
- Trigger point therapy
- Stretching exercises
- Postural strengthening exercises
- Specialized home exercise program
- Patient education about cause and prevention
Call us for an appointment today!